This is a question I think about ALL the time.
When I was little I went throught the normal phases of wanting to be a doctor, an astronaut, a teacher, but my senior year I was clueless. I loved the time I spent at NASA at an aerospace engineering camp, I had fun at a Society of Women Engineers camp at A&M, but I couldn't really see myself doing that for the rest of my life.
I remember one time close to the end of my senior year, my dad asked me what I wanted to do with my life and I answered "I want to be a mom." I was single. I was 18. I hadn't graduated highschool yet. I'm sure my dad was like "WTF?!?!" But it was the truth. I didn't see why I should spend money going to college if I didn't really plan on using a degree. I wanted to be like my mom was when I was growing up. She was always home with me. ALWAYS. I remember pretending to be sick when I was in kindergarten so I could stay home and watch tv in my parents bed all day, because I knew that's what my mom would let me do. She'd pick me up from school and there would be a snack waiting for me on the table at home. Now that I'm thinking about it, ALWAYS is a little lie. She did go to work at the library when I was in second grade and after school I'd walk to the babysitters house, who was a family friend, and I would get so sick because I missed my mom so badly. She quit not long after :) Enough of memory lane.
I knew that I couldn't just live in Stratford and work at Express Lane forever waiting for the man of my dreams to sweep me off my feet. I loved being on the yearbook staff,, taking pics and designing pages, and I loved my graphic design class, fiddling around with Photoshop and Illustrator...so why not go to school for graphic design? I'm not going to go into how much I loathe Westwood now that Rob and I have almost $50K in school debt and a crap degree. If I hadn't gone to college, then I wouldn't have met Rob. I think that's the point I was trying to get to. Wow, I've really strayed from what I thought about at first.
Back on track. I am a mom. And I love it. I love staying home with my girls. I love not having to wake up and rush to work every morning. I am so glad that my girls do not have to go to a daycare where they're 1 of a dozen boogery babies that doesn't get alot of love and attention. But I'm thinking into the future now. When both girls are in school, what will I do all day? Yeah it might be fun to be able to sit around the house watching tv and eating Twinkies all day, but that would get old fast. I could work from the house, as a customer service rep. for one of the millions companies out there, but they are so strict on their work schedules and there is no flexibility for a sick child or time off to go to a school program. I could go back to work at Nu Prints or TJ Maxx. Uh....NO! Wait, I'll be a teacher! I love kids. I'm good with kids. I'll have holidays off to spend with the girls, most of the summer....yes, that's a good idea! Did I just figure out what I want to be when I grow up? I'm only almost 25....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment