Friday, May 15, 2009

Finding a New Family

For the past year, I have loved staying at home with the girls. I love being able to see every move they make, every milestone they reach, and lounge around in our pj's til noon. But now I feel like it's time to start helping pay some bills. Mostly I just want to be able to buy something for Rob and not have to use his money. What's his is ours, and what's mine is well....I don't have "mine."

I do not want a 9-5 and leave the girls. I really want to open a home daycare. We made a few home improvements, I invested in some preschool-y decor and storage bins, and filled out all of the paperwork to become registered with the state, but after numerous phonecalls, I'm left with no children coming to our home. I know we live in a lower income community and most families either qualify for CCDS or mom stays home, but I really thought after 4 months of advertising, I'd be able to have it up and running.

So yesterday, I had an interview with a family that is looking for a nanny for their 3 children - two daughters: Loralee 12 months, Emalee 27 months, and Aiden their 6-year-old son. And the best part is that they'd let me bring the girls. They are an awesome family, christian, full of love, respectful children. Kadence and Karlie both had a blast playing with the girls. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside seeing them all interacting together. Kadence and Emily running from room to room with Karlie and Loralie crawling right on their heels. I felt a connection with them within the first 5 minutes of meeting them.

The downfall? They live 32 miles from us. I should say, 32 miles north of us, which means I'd have to fight traffic thru downtown and on the northside to get their house. I'd have to leave our house at 7:45 AM and wouldn't get home til 7 PM. That would be ok if it was just me, but I don't want to do that to the girls. Karlie HATES the car. She screams bloody murder at the sight of her carseat.

Last night, they asked me if I could start on Monday and I immediately agreed. But the looooooooong drive home with two cranky girls made me rethink my decision. I couldn't sleep last night. I was thinking about the family all night. How nice they are. How they deserve a good nanny that can stay long-term. I'm not that nanny. I honestly can't see myself driving 64 miles roundtrip 5 days a week. So this morning, I made the call. Mom was completely understanding and said that she and Dad discussed that last night. I explained that I don't want to make a committment to them knowing that in two months I will be sick of driving everyday. I don't want them miss out on another great nanny that can commit to them right now. The phonecall ended with Mom asking if she could call me if she ever needed a last minute sitter and for playdates and of course I agreed.

About 10 minutes later, my phone rang and it was Mom. She said that she would really like to break the ties with their current sitter today because it's not a good environment for her children, and that they would like me to come to their house for the next few weeks until they find a more long-term nanny.

I'm excited! Kadence and Karlie will get to socialize with kids their age, I'll make a little money, and I know that I won't be letting them down in the end. I am a little weary though. When I was nannying for Bram, I completely fell in love with him. Can I say that about a toddler? I miss seeing him everyday, and I know that these lil kids will have me wrapped around their sticky, chubby fingers in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment