Thursday, May 14, 2009

I'm a Mean Mommy

Surpringly enough, no, Kadence didn't call me that...yet. It was Karlie. I tortured her today, well pierced her ears today.

My in-laws pierced Kadence's ears when she was 3 months, and my niece's when she was 2 months. I trust them over a 16-year-old with a piercing gun at the mall. They sterilize everything from the earrings to the towel they hold incase she's a bleeder.

As loving and careful as they are, I will never forget the look on her face when they were holding her down. She wanted me so bad. She didn't understand what was happening. Then she ate a popsicle and now everything is peachy. She's crawling around the house playing with all her toys.

She's fine. But I'm not. I feel so terrible! Why did we decide to pierce her ears? She didn't ask us to. Was it selfish of us? Mean? Abuse? Right now, I'm thinking it is all the bad stuff, because her tears are still fresh in my memory. Then I think about Kadence, and how she cried when she lost an earring a few months ago, and how excited she gets when we go buy new ones. She loves her earrings, but part of me is now thinking that I should have let them choose to pierce their ears when they're old enough.

But all little girls have them, right? That's what I think, and then I think, "If everyone was jumping off a cliff, would I do it, too?" Maybe in a few years, when she's excited about buying new earrings I won't feel so bad. As for now, I'm just going to feel terrible, and enjoy her unconditional love.


No comments:

Post a Comment